Award winning offices
- Duration: August 2005 to May 2006
- Project value: £1.5m
- Contract: JCT 98 design and build
- Land purchased by Jarvis
- Planning permission obtained by Jarvis
- In situ reinforced concrete frame
- Brick and block outer skirt
- Pitch-tiled roof
- Jarvis M&E Services install
- Award for outstanding design
- Architect: Clarke & Whalen
- Quantity surveyor: Jarvis Contracting
- Structural engineer: Powell Tolner
- Mechanical consultant: Jarvis M&E Services
This development was built on the approach road to Harpenden railway station on the site of the former station master’s house. Jarvis Commercial purchased the land, obtained planning permission and leased the premises to local solicitors Taylor Walton. Due to the proximity of Thameslink railway, the project required careful planning and programming to ensure no disruption.
The 5000ft2 building is comprised of an in situ reinforced concrete frame, together with pre-cast concrete floors and a traditional brick and block outer skin. It also has a pitch-tiled roof on timber trusses and timber sash windows. Mechanical and electrical services were designed and installed by Jarvis M&E Services. In 2007 the building, which was designed to harmonise with the surrounding conservation area, was granted the Harpenden Society Civic Award for outstanding design.
Jarvis Contracting Industrial & Commercial
We design, build and refurbish offices, factories, hangars, warehouses and out of town retail schemes. Find out more.